I started the placement with the Children's Marketing and Publicity department yesterday, and most of my work is admin based, but it's great! It's so cool to be able to watch the people - mainly in the department I'm working in - on the publishing side of things go about their work, it's so interesting!
So here's what I have been doing over the last two days. Yesterday:
- Photocopied several copies of a Vampirates manuscript.
- Bound said manuscripts using binding machine.
- Stamp a fair amount of bags and filled 21 with Sophie McKenzie promotional material.
- Filled and addressed 39 envelopes with 137 competition prizes (A Mummy for Owen/Spiderwick Chronicles/The Time Quake).
- Photocopied and filed press cuttings.
- Saved extract quotes in a doc from cuttings for future use.
- Coded 400 The Medusa Project postcards.
- Created six showcards for The Medusa Project event on xyron machine.
- Filled and addressed four envelopes with the postcards and showcards for four different locations.
- Filled and addressed three envelopes with 24 competition prizes (Spiderwick Chronicles).
- Filled and addressed four envelopes with new promotional bookmarks to authors.
It's been really good so far! I've enjoyed meeting everyone, and the experience of working in the publishing environment. I'll edit this post over the next few days with what I do next.
UPDATE - 20/01/10:
You know, I came to a realisation yesterday; while I'm working there, I now have a S&S log in for a computer, and I get emailed by Kat with addresses, etc for the work I do, and it occurred to me that I now have - though temporarily - a Simon & Schuster email address! I got all excited when I realised it! Haha. Here's a list of things I did today:
- Sent the press cuttings from yesterday to authors and agents.
- Sent certificates to the new members of the Beastly Boys website, with promo materials.
- Sent a lot of Beastly Boys promo material to a school librarian who requested some.
- Created three showcards for a Neal Shusterman event next week.
- Went out to buy some place cards for the Shusterman event, and then named them.
- Photocopied another Vampirates manuscript, bound it, and sent it on.
- Photocopied press cuttings for Vampirates: Black Heart for Justin Somper for appointment tomorrow.
- Emailed competition winners, and arranged address labels.
UPDATE - 21/01/10:
Another brilliant day at S&S UK today! I was fortunate enough to be allowed to sit in on the Children's Publishing Meeting this morning, and it was so interesting! I didn't understand most of it, but it was great to learn a little more about what is involved in getting just one book on the shelves in the bookshops. Rights, Design, Editorial, Marketing, etc, all teaming together to discuss what they think as a whole is the way to go about things for a book. It was just so great! Here's a list of what I did today:
- Printed 24 posters - 12 each of Malcolm Rose's Hurricane Force and The Death Gene - and sent them to 12 libraries for a Malcolm Rose tour.
- Sent around 13 stock teen posters to a school library.
- Sent 5 bundles of various stock bookmarks to a (different) school library.
- Sent out the 60 prizes to the Facebook group winners, who I emailed and sorted labels out for yesterday.
- Created press releases for Scandal by Kate Brian, Stunt Bunny: A Showbiz Sensation by Tamsyn Murray, Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld (paperback version), Hush, Hush by Becca Fiztpatrick (paperback version), The Demon's Covenant by Sarah Rees Brennan, and The Medusa Project: The Rescue by Sophie McKenzie.
Today was a pretty good day, though busier than the others. As it was my final day of work experience, I decided to say thank you with a box of chocolates, though only one of the team were in today. And funnily enough, I was bought a box of chocolates to say cheers to me too! We swapped chocolates :) Here's a list of what I did today:
- Sent booksmark and postcards to someone for three sixth form colleges.
- Made two showcards, and printed five posters and sent them, along with two bundles of bookmarks, for a Sarah Singleton event at a school.
- Sent Hush, Hush competition prizes to 30 people.
- Sent Sophie McKenzie bookmarks to a school for World Book Day.
- Sent 1,000 Sophie McKenzie bookmarks, 500 SM postcards, and 20 copies of reading notes, and 500 Justin Somper bookmarks to a WHSmith branch for World Book Day.
- Photocopied 12 copies of a Vampirates manuscript (same one as before), and sent six copies to reviewers, one with a copy of Black Heart, and another with the full series.
- Sent press releases of the book to the reviewers from last point once they were ready to go.
- Sent picture books to a reviewer.
- Sent Justin Somper promo matierial to a library for a four school event.
- Sent some review copies to a certain book reviewer I chat to fairly often ;)
So that's the end of my work experience, but the beginning of my voluntary work! It's been absolutely brilliant, and I'm really looking forward to continuing working there.