First Class Post - because this post is first class!
Check out Sunday mail memes:
Showcase Sunday on Books, Bisuits and Tea
The Sunday Post on Caffeinated Book Reviewer.
Stacking the Shelves on Tynga's Reviews.
Here are the books I received in June!
- P.S. I Still Love You by Jenny Han - The sequel to To All the Boys I've Loved Before! Been looking forward to this for ages!
- Timebomb by Scott K. Andrews (UKYA) - This sounds so intriguing!
- Beyond Clueless by Linas Alsenas (LGBTQ YA) - Sounds cute!
- Another Day by David Levithan (LGBTQ YA) - EEEE! Read and loved! Review below.
- Extraordinary Means by Robyn Schneider - This sounds really awesome! I think it's going to be emotional, and I'm so looking forward to it!
- Here Be Dragons by Sarah Mussi (UKYA) - Dragons! Dragonsdragonsdragons! Need I say more?
- What a Wonderful World by Tim Hopgood (board book) - This book looks so cute! Who doesn't love that Louis Armstrong song? And to have those lyrics as a story for children, it's just genius!
- I'll Catch You If You Fall by Mark Sperring (picture book) - Another sweet looking picture book.
- Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren - Thought I would give this edition of the classic a review.
- Paperweight by Meg Haston - This book sounds so good! I've read a partially negative review of it which has me worried, but it still sounds awesome! I'm hopeful!
- The Awesome by Eva Darrows (2015 YA Debut) - THIS SOUNDS SO GOOD! Oh my god, I'm so excited to read this book! A feminist urban fantasy?! Gotta love it!
- 5 to 1 by Holly Bodger (2015 Debut) - THIS SOUNDS AMAZING! Seriously! I am loving the sound of this feminist sounding story! I needs to read it nooow! Also, look at that cover! Gorgeous!
- Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult & Samantha van Leer (signed - different cover to the one on GR)
- Off the Page by Jodi Picoult & Samantha van Leer (signed) - Picoult and van Leer were at the party briefly, so I got some books signed.
- Vanishing Girls by Lauren Oliver - Yes, I already have a proof of Vanishing Girls, but now a finished copy!
- The Curiosity House: The Shrunken Head by Lauren Oliver & H. C. Chester (proof) - And as I love Lauren Oliver so much, I haaave to read this!
- End of Days by Susan Ee - Cait from Paper Fury was recently raving about the Penryn and the End of Days series, so I picked up the final book. Now I have all three to read!
I have far too many books, so I'm going to try reviewing more on my kindle, even though I prefer physical books. That way, if I don't like a book, it's not taking up so much room.
- Apple and Rain by Sarah Crossan (Irish YA) - Sounds interesting.
- What Milo Saw by Virginia MacGregor (UK adult novel, but I think crossover) - This is going to be amazing, I just know it!
- Emmy & Oliver by Robin Benway - I loved Audrey, Weight! So I'm hoping I love this.
- Fire Colour One by Jenny Valentine (UKYA) - My head of dept. has been raving about this, so I thought I'd give it a go.
- The Porcupine of Truth by Bill Konigsburg (LGBTQ YA) - Sounds awesome!
- Reasons to Stay Alive by Matt Haig (mental illness memoir) - I've been intrigued by this for ages!
- Lion's Share by Rachel Vincent (ebook - not pictured) - Companion series to Vincent's Shifters series! So excited!
- Horns by Joe Hill - My best friend recommended this to me. When he told me it made him cry, I knew I had to read it.
- Girls Will Be Girls by Emer O'Toole (feminism) - I want to become a better feminist, and this and the following two books are three of many books recommended to me to read to help educate myself. This was recommended to me by Charlie and Louise O'Neill.
- Bad Feminist by Roxane Gay - (feminism) Also recommended to me by Charlie and Louise O'Neill.
- Be Aweseome by Hadley Freeman - (feminism) And this was recommended to me by Nicole Burstein.
I was one of the winners of Queer YA Scrabble! Thank you to all the people who organised this awesome event, and were involved! I won Team Phoenix's bundle, and this is what I got (all LGBTQ YA):
- Martyr by A. R. Kahler (signed) - This one sounds really intriguing, with all the fantasy and magic! Hoping I like it.
- Trust Me, I'm Trouble by Mary Elizabeth Summer (signed) - This is the second book in a series, and I've yet to read the first one, so I'll hold off before reading this. It sounds intriguing, but I'm not sure if it'll be my cup of tea, we'll see.
- The Art of Being Normal by Lisa Williamson - This is unsigned, and I already have a signed copy, so this will find itself a new home.
- The Five Stages of Andrew Brawley by Shaun David Hutchinson (signed) - I bought an unsigned copy a while back, so that will get a new home. I've yet to read this book, it sounds awesome!
- Rainbow Briefs by Kira Harp (signed) - This collection of short stories sounds interesting; different genres as well as experiences. Hope I enjoy it!
- Wet Paint by Will Parkinson - This one sounds really good! I'm looking forward to reading it!
- Harry Potter Horcrux Locket - We sell these at work! :) They're kind of cool!
- The Witches' Spell Book for Love, Happiness & Success - I originally thought this was a cute little novelty gift book, but having flicked through it, it's actually uite serious, with pagan spells and rituals. I used to be really interested in this kind of thing when I was younger, so it's such a cool addition!
Inspired by Faye of A Daydreamer's Thoughts's Weekly Recap, here is a recap of my posts over the last week, and anything else I found interesting.
- Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews - Hilariously funny! Highly recommended!
- P.S. I Still Love You by Jenny Han - The ending felt a bit rushed to me, but I enjoyed it!
- Another Day by David Levithan - Beautiful, but not quite as beautiful as Every Day.
- Girls Will Be Girls by Emer O'Toole - Really eye-opening and gets you thinking about what it means to be a woman in today's society.
- Shadowplay by Laura Lam - Really disappointed by this book. My expectations were high after Pantomime, and this just didn't come close to being as good.
- The Accident Season by Moïra Fowley-Doyle - SO GOOD! Atmospheric and creepy and bloody brilliant!
- Book tags: I took part in the Find Me Tag, which was fun, and the Unpopular Opinions Tag which was more difficult than I expected. Had to look through my reviewed books list to find books - most didn't immediately spring to mind.
- I helped reveal the beautiful cover for Until We Meet Again by Renee Collins.
- Top Ten Tuesday: I posted about the books on my TBR pile for summer 2015, my most anticipated releases for the rest of the year, and my favourite books read so far this year.
- I talked about feminist stories and positive female role models in YA and NA.